Sunday, March 11, 2012

Road Trip!

I think one of my favorite things of being young is having the freedom and energy to have spontaneous adventures.  Like this weekend, when I drove to Vegas.

Don't be too scandalized, dear readers, because I went there to visit my father.

My dad flew down for a business convention for uniforms (Seth's family didn't buy that we were going to a "leather show" in Vegas).  We embarked on our 5 hour journey after deciding just the night before that we were going.  We were there for under 24 hours, but had a great time!

Driving through Arizona is a lot like driving to Utica in the wintertime...raw, deserted, and lifeless.  There was nothing rock, dirt, and cactuses for about the first two hours (God forbid if you need gas or have to go to the bathroom).  I wish I remembered to take a picture, but alas, I did not.  But it looked something like this:


Fine, I'm exaggerating.  It looked more like this:


I'm still kind of torn that there are no trees, but I suppose it's beautiful in its own way.

We spent a wonderful evening with my dad, going to the Guardian Angel Cathedral for Mass (which is located right on the strip...I love how the Catholic Church is present even in the darkest places) and having dinner at the restaurant at the top of his hotel.  Because my dad thinks of everything, he got us a table by the window so we could see the city and the strip at night!  And I do have a picture of this...but a blurry, terrible one.



The quality of this photo is a bit embarrassing, but I'll save my face and blame the waiter.

After breakfast with my dad, Seth and I left for Phoenix the next morning and made a stop at the Hoover Dam.  It was so windy that I'm still pulling the knots out of my hair. (That may or may not be another exaggeration.)  We got some better pictures here. 





I think my favorite parts of the trip were seeing my dad smiling at us as we drove up to the hotel, and getting to talk with Seth for hours on end in the car.  I love unplanned adventures!

1 comment:

  1. Cool, I want to visit Vegas! Almost as much as you and Seth want to live in Spencer. =)

    ReplyDelete